Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Interview

Months ago I applied to the University of South Carolina. I am interested in their Master in Special Education program for first time teacher licensing. I applied at the last minute so I guess it is appropriate that I am interviewing at the last minute.

I had never been on the USC campus, it seems pretty nice what little I saw of it. I was mainly interested in finding the education building.
.
This is a big step in my life. If I commit my time and money to this program then I need to be serious about finishing it. I am concerned about the time required for the classes. Class periods are at a bad time, 4:30 to 8:30, not good mommy times to be in class. I mentioned this during the interview. One of the interviewers, who would be my adviser, wrote up a schedule for me for the first semester that included online courses. I guess that was an indication of the interview.....that she was advising me.
.
The interview went well. I meet all the criteria with my GPA and Millers Analogy test score. She said that my test score was good, I thought it was merely passing since I was so sick when taking that test.
.
We talked for quite a while about other subjects because one of the interviewers had adopted two children from Russia (was Russia when she adopted). We talked about behavior, attachment issues and such.
.
After the interview I had one hour to read two articles and write a summary and critique them. I did fine on the first article. I did struggle because it was an outdated article about inclusion and I know the outcome of the IDEA legislation. The second article I struggled with more because I couldn't critique it too well. I wrote one paragraph critiquing the article and then the rest of the paragraphs were my opinions on why the author was wrong! Oh well, they got a sample of my writing (and some of my opinions). I find it sad that at this level of education they need to see if you can read, comprehend and write.
.
I did come out and tell them that I didn't realize that I was so opinionated. They said that it was allowed.
.
Overall, a good day. I should know soon if I will be accepted. My next concern is financing....how am I going to afford this? School starts next month.


I returned to my car to find that I had two minutes left on my meter, what timing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to answer your blog comment question. I have thought about adoption through foster care and I think it's something we will probably try in the future. For now we are going to stick with this because I wanted to experience a newborn once. I can definitely see older child adoption in our future though. We would need a bigger house first.

    Thank you for your blog comment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your interview went very well!!! I hope you hear good news soon!

    ReplyDelete