Thursday, August 5, 2010

Commitments of a Different Sort

Does that old momma look funny in a uniform? Actually, I have been doing this off and on for years. The National Guard has been good to me.
.
These boots have taken me many places.

A few years ago they even took me to Egypt and I got an opportunity to see the pyramids. That was a dream of mine that I thought would never happen.

I've had the opportunity to travel, meet new folks, gave me a fulltime job, receive training in several fields and even shoot M-16's (which I actually do rather well in).

However, I find that I am growing away from all of it. I don't feel that I have much to offer the National Guard anymore. My field that I work in is administration. I actually enjoy it. However, my unit changed and did away with all admin positions. So that leaves me adrift. I have been through several schools already (combat medic, military intelligence, psyops, and admin). I don't want to go to another military school. I just don't have the time.

My unit deployed while I was away which leaves the soldiers left behind with a mess. We have to travel 120 miles one way to drill at the HQ's. I am drilling locally for two days and then on Saturday morning I will leave the house at 4 am to make it to drill, not fun in my book.

I have requested that they find me a local job, I want to paint a mural on the armory wall. Hopefully that will allow me to stay closer to home many weekends. However, I know that I will have to travel for weapons qualifications and such. We will see, I hope to talk to some folks on Saturday and talk myself into a job here.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment