Friday, October 22, 2010

Ummm....I have a Heart Too!

I could never foster because I would become too attached.
.
I could never foster because I couldn't let them go.
.
Ohhh, I couldn't foster, I would love them too much.
.
.
If I have one more person tell me that, I may scream.
.
I almost feel like they are saying that they have a heart and I don't.
.
Guess what? I get too attached, I find it hard to let them go and I love them too much.
.
But, it's not about me. I am an adult and I understand what I have signed up for.
.
What is hard for me is that the very young babies also get attached, find it hard to leave and learn to love us...........then they leave. Sometimes the homes they go to aren't the best situations. I have no control over that, neither does the child. They don't understand what is going on in their lives and they are too young for me to explain anything to.
.
Just being gone for the weekend was hard for my littlest one, she has been very attached to the hip this week, holding on to my hair. I have to pry her hand out of my hair to put her down. Who knows, I may be bald before she leaves!
.
She doesn't want to let go.
.
At some point I will have to let her go.
.
Yes, being a foster parent can be very painful.

3 comments:

  1. You love enough to share your love. You really care!! http://blogs.parent24.com/ebonyandivory/i-am-brokendevastated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post really made me think. (this is not a comparison - just informational) I used to foster animals and would hear similar things from non-rescue people and while the comments got old, I was never hurt by them. I did, though, use to say that I could do this with animals but I didn't think I could ever foster children. After reading your post I asked myself why - I think the real answer is I am just not strong enough to open my heart to the inevitable heartbreak of having to let go. I am in awe of the wonderful people like you who are strong enough to love without being paralyzed by the fear and pain of letting go. For me though, I wouldn't have ever assumed you didn't have a heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete