Friday, September 10, 2010

Typical

Budget cuts! I really don't like those words.
.
My foster kids will not be going home next Friday. Due to budget cuts they have taken away DSS's court date next Friday. So their court date will be on October 8th. In my kids case I don't think that the extra time will be enough for the SW to build a case. Things are stacked against her, but she is taking the extra time to work on it.
.
This is so typical. When we had Anthony and Larissa as our foster children the system was constantly cancelling court dates or extending them. The court system is the main reason why they were our foster children for almost three years. The laws can say all they want about time frames, the court system breaks them all the time.
.
I find it interesting that most people want to blame the SW'ers for kids going home to bad situations. I have found that here in my county it is not the case. Many times the SW has gone to court stating the reunification is not in the best interest of the child only to have the judge send them home. The SW works the case but they are not the final decision makers.
.
About a year ago, in our county, a judge sent some kids home against the recommendation of the SW. A short time later one of those kids was dead. It happens and I think that too many folks are quick to blame the SW. However, the SW can only be blamed if they did not do their job and investigate their case well.
.
So, we will have the little ones a little longer. We will enjoy them and love on them while they are here. Today I spent a long time taking out Kiwi's beads (actually I worked off and on most of the day). I am not sure how long they had been in her hair but I do know that her hair is in terrible shape. I didn't realize it with all the beads. As I was removing the braids there were patches of hair falling out. I put her hair in a simple style to give it time to rest.
.
I also need to get the kids in to see a doctor. I still don't have any proof of Medicaid coverage or any medical records. Monday I will head to the health department to see if they happen to have their shot records. The baby is due for 6 month shots and I don't know if she had them or not before coming into care. I really don't like doing the shot thing!
.
Larissa went to school today. I told her teacher that I would keep her in school until the IEP on Tuesday. They sent her to the 4K program for part of her day. She really enjoyed it there. Sneaky of them if you ask me!
.
Well, I plan on hitting up the garage sales in the morning so I should get off this computer and to bed/read. I really need a high chair and see them all the time when I am not looking for one. Naturally, I expect I won't see a single one now that I am looking. The hunt is half the fun.

3 comments:

  1. OH brother. We are in the midst of an extended court date right now. Thanks for your blog, I love the title. Our family is similar but smaller--my blog is Mezclados! But I think Stare if You Must is great!

    Also, there is a scare here about adoptive parents not receiving subsidies which is putting many in between a rock and hard place! More on this later, check out my blog! p.s. I am nervous about putting kids pics on the web, what is your rationale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. darn budget cuts! our courts and CPS is closed 24 fridays out of the year. glad the babies are getting good love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard the rumor of adoption subsidies being cut. For us it wouldn't have much of an impact (our subsidies are so low in our state) but I know that some folks with special needs kids need them to be able to stay home with their children. My concern is that it would prevent some folks from adopting and keep kids in the foster system longer, especially speical needs kids.

    About pictures, my blog was originally created so my husband and kids could keep up with home. I figured that our life was boring and no one would actually read about us. There are many pictures out there in the blog world, I haven't seen any specific activity to make me concerned that anyone specific is targeting us. Interestingly, the pictures that has been downloaded the most on my blog are my zebra dresser and a picture of a plaque on a tree in San Antonio. If I ever post a picture of my foster childs face I hope that someone would point it out to me so I could remove it.

    ReplyDelete