Monday, September 13, 2010

Busy Day

Aren't these quilts beautiful? They are made by a group of quilters in our county. They make quilts for foster children and veterans. Last Tuesday our two new foster kids received their quilts at the foster care association meeting.

They asked if families could show up today at the quilters meeting. They really wanted to see the kids who have received their quilts. We took Larissa and our two new foster babies. The local newspaper was there and took pictures of our group (no foster kids pictures).
.
Wow, when I look at this picture and realize how tall Larissa is (she is slouching too!). She turns 5 on Friday, I wonder how old she will be when she gets taller then me.
As we were walking away my SW mentioned to me that she wondered if the kids bio parents would see the picture. Honestly, I doubt it. But I told the SW that I really wasn't concerned. If their biomom came up and asked to see the kids I wouldn't be against meeting at the McDonald's playplace. I have no problem with sharing pictures and letting them know how well the children are doing. The bios are a part of the children, someone who the children will always be curious about. I don't ever want them to feel that they can't talk about their biological family with me.
.
After the morning meeting we went over to the DSS office where I told them that I must have a copy of the kids medicaid cards or something because I needed to take Kiwi to the doctors. The area where they told me she had ant bites was getting more infected spots. I know that she didn't get more ant bites. I have been asking for doctor and Medicaid information since day one, especially when I saw her 5 little infected spots. The 5 spots have cleared up but now she has more.
.
I finally got their medicaid numbers and went in search of their doctor. I went to three different offices before I found their doctor. Their mom has not been willing to give the information. Imagine the reception when you walk into a doctors office and ask if your kids are seen there. I was able to get an appointment for 3:45.
.
I left for class at 3:30 so John got to take Kiwi to the doctors. He says that he got a cool reception. The doctor was very short with him, as though he stole her. He asked John how she ended up in our home.
.
He is treating her for MRSA but didn't test for it. Nice to know. Wonder if anyone in the house will get it. One of the many perils of foster care.
.
After class I went to the library for a little research for a big paper in one of my classes. I stayed up late last night studying as well. I feel more caught up today. Sometimes I wonder what I got myself into!
.
Nice end to my day. I walked into the house and it smelled of peanut butter cookies baking in the oven. Also, nice fresh rice krispie treats were sitting on the countertop. Mmmmm....Sarah was in a baking mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment