Thursday, June 28, 2018

Ups and Downs of the Day

I was looking forward to the day. My new fridge, washer and dryer were coming today. Our old fridge worked but was starting to break down, especially the baskets. The freezer was on the bottom and was a drawer. Benjamin loves to lean on the drawer all the time. Little Man was in training. I very much disliked that drawer. Things got put in the freezer never to be found again as they went to the bottom. Who designed that thing?


Then the washing machine broke down. I guess I didn't buy the extra warranty so it wasn't covered. Seriously, it wasn't even 2 years old. I have always had issues with that dryer so it was going. You had to run it twice to get anything to dry, so frustrating.

My husband wanted to know what I wanted for my birthday and I told him a new fridge, washer and dryer. Guess that makes me old to want such items for my birthday!


I was quite amazed at how they got that monster of a fridge into my kitchen. It barely fit, but it fit.


I love the bottom doors. The left side is a freezer and the right side can be a freezer or a fridge. 


New washer and dryer. I went big again, need a step stool to reach the bottom of the washer. We tried the front loading machine once, it was not good. We could never get rid of the mold. We were told to keep the door open all the time. We couldn't, we were using it all of the time. We went more than a week with one washer, we sure missed it.


Anthony found his old cowboy boots from when we lived in San Antonio. He passed them down to Benjamin. They are way too big but he loves them and was stomping around the house all day.


We had a social worker visit today. My moms worker came out. She hadn't been out in a while and the visit wasn't long. She basically had to lay eyes on my mom to see that she was still alive. Apparently they are no longer allowed to do phone checks. They had a case locally where an elderly man did not report his wife's death to them because he needed to meals to continue. This man was not able to afford food and now he will be fined for all the back meals he acquired after his wife's death. I find it sad that he had to resort to that to have food.

All was well until the kids went to VBS. It has been hours and I am still mad. As soon as we get in the car Larissa told me that she was having hearing problems in her ear. They were starting to play a game called Chest Ball when one of the adults in her group came up to her and smacked her in the ear with the ball hard enough to knock her to the ground. She said she sat out the rest of the time trying not to cry. Her ear was ringing and hurt. She tried to play other games and none of the kids would let her. 

Michelle was there and she even said that the guy just walked up to Larissa and smacked her. She wasn't even aware that the game had started. Everyone was laughing at Larissa. She didn't find it funny. They are supposed to hit the chest, not the ear. Michelle told me that no one would let Larissa play the other games and that they were all white. Michelle felt that they all did that to Larissa because she is black. Michelle made that observation, not Larissa.

Then we get home and someone had stole Larissa's phone out of her bag. She thought that she had watched it well. To take it would have taken more than one kid. She cried over that loss.

The phone makes me mad but I know that it can be replaced. I think that it has been a lesson to her, that you can't trust anyone and that is sad. But the phone doesn't make me boil as much as the hit to the ear. She is 5'7", he had to of hit hard to knock her to the floor. The loss of that rust for her adult youth leader is a harder loss and will take longer to recover from than the phone. The church that is hosting this VBS is not our church and it isn't one that we have visited. However, it had been recommended to us. I can promise you it isn't a church we would consider attending.

I have the reports from my two girls, I wonder how the church will report it tomorrow. I did leave a voice mail on their phone and will follow up tomorrow.

I really don't understand why she is such a target. She is a very respectful child. She is loving and quiet. She tries to do the right thing. Sure, she is a kid and has her moments but overall a great kid. It frustrates me so.





1 comment:

  1. I would consider a CPS report about the youth leader. The church may not do much about it and a CPS visit will remind them how wrong that leader is. I'm boiling on her behalf!

    ReplyDelete