Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Bathroom Project

We have a problem with Emma and Michelle's bathroom. They don't like to close the shower curtain, turn on the fan or even get in the shower sometimes. Michelle for some reason will turn on the hot water and steam up the bathroom and after a while of hearing the shower I go to tell her to finish up only to find she isn't in the shower at all. The steam coming from the bathroom has been known to set off the fire alarm!

We went to replace the toilet but realized that there was a lot of damage to the flooring and everywhere else. We had to tear up the tile and replace some sub flooring.


Steam can do some damage, the door was peeling and all the metal in the room is rusted. The shower curtain had to be replaced and even the light in the room had rust on it.


All the trim had to be replaced.


My son Jason came a while back and tore up the tile for me. I had a challenge because the sub flooring is not the same height as anything I could find.  I didn't want to retile it because I don't think that the flooring is level enough. I decided to go with waterproof vinyl. It looks great but we will see how it holds up to my girls.

I had to suddenly rush this project because the girls were using Larissa and Sarah's bathroom and they were trashing it. They were flooding it out, leaving their dirty clothing, making it generally nasty and then on the way out they were stealing Larissa's clothing.

After finishing the church project I squeezed in the bathroom project. In two days I: finished ripping out part of the sub flooring, replaced the sub flooring, put down the new flooring, painted the room with Larissa's help, put in a new toilet, and replaced all the trim.

The handle came off of the paint creating another mess!


I scraped it up and used it.


What a mess.


I love the flooring but it sure was a pain to put in. Since it is such a small space less than two pieces fit in a row. I had to measure and cut for every row. That meant for each rom I had to get up off the floor and walk down the stair and out into the 100 degree heat to the chop saw in the garage to cut the piece. I then went back upstairs and put it in then measured for the next row. On the first day I quit when I could no longer get up off the floor, the struggle was real and I am getting old.






There is caulking even on the caulk strip.


I am happy with the result and sadly we have new bathroom rules. After showers an adult is going upstairs to make sure that there isn't a pool of water on the floor. I have told Michelle that if I feel that she is just steaming up the shower and taking too long then I will have to monitor her showers. Seriously, I had to repaint the walls because of the damage to the walls. I painted this bathroom fairly recently and it shouldn't have had the damage that it did. It is going to take more monitoring on my part to try and prevent damage again. Sigh....

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about the ongoing issues....however,the bathroom looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bathroom you did awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just put that brand of flooring in my kitchen! I'm hoping it holds up well to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to let you know the I really, really love your blog. You bless and inspire me every time I hop on to catch up with you and your family. Your unending energy, love and passion for your family is amazing and encourages me to get little things in my life done, because I see how much you are doing with way more responsibilty thatn I could imagine. I love that in the midst of everything that you have going on, you still take time to share with us your blogs! Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete