Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Flight Home

Well, we are home safe and sound. Return flight was interesting. You know how you read about issues with airlines and never really experience them yourself. I had an interesting experience. I was surprised by my own feelings about seats! It is no joke that seat sizes are getting smaller and smaller. I have no problem, I fit in my seat fine and am thankful for my shortness on flights. However, on my return flight I had a middle seat and as I walk up to it I realize a problem. I only had 2/3 of a seat. The girl in the aisle seat had pulled up the armrest and obviously didn't fit in her seat. She gets up and lets me in. I literally was pinned to my seat as her arm and shoulder locked me in. I was sitting there thinking that there was no way I could fly for a few hours like that. Then my thoughts started along the line of I paid rental for a seat for this flight, I didn't pay for 2/3 of a seat. I admit on the inside I was very annoyed. I didn't say anything to the girl but I was getting pretty unsettled by being pinned in. Think of someones arm and shoulder on top of yours making it impossible to move! I was shoulder to shoulder with the gentleman on the right.

After all the passengers boarded the girl asked for a seat belt extender and the stewardess offered me a new seat. Actually she offered me and the gentleman new seats. The girl was extending out into the aisle and they wanted her to sit in the middle. She ended up in a row all by herself.

I ended up with a row of my own with some great leg room.


However, I can't help but wonder what I would have done if the flight was full. I guess the benefit of a 6 am flight is it isn't full. It seems like there was no win situation. I was uncomfortable and felt that my space was invaded. True in flights I expect shoulder to shoulder but not shoulder on top of shoulder. I saw the look that flashed across the stewardess face when she looked at the girl. She tried to hide it but it was there. I expect that the girl gets if often and I do feel for her. No simple answers for everyone involved.

Ever have any issues with flying?

3 comments:

  1. I actually have experienced this myself and can tell you what happened on a full flight. Transatlantic 8 hour flight! Window seat: bigger woman - middle: me - isle: random woman. The bigger woman kept apologizing as she obviously realized I was not comfortable. When she asked for an extender, the flight attendant told "us" about the full flight, and I must admit I almost died inside. Not only could the arm rest not come down, but her one leg was also under the seat in front of me. I ended up basically sitting in one of those flight attendant seats from which the seat flips upwards when not in use. I was upset about the situation (I secretly envisioned myself watching a movie or two and just relax!) now I was stuck on a seat near the washrooms where I wasn't even supposed to be. The flight staff advised me to contact the airline without me even saying anything directly to them (if you're curious, I got a lousy 20% off next flight voucher). They even let me eat on this seat, which is hard without a table ... anyways ... glad you had the opportunity to move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, somehow it just doesn't seem fair that the one who fits in their seat just fine is the one inconvenienced!

      Delete
  2. Airlines are supposed to charge people for extra seats if they cannot fit in one. I too feel empathy for larger people but I imagine they too would be more comfortable in 2 seats. I once was on a full flight on a very large plane and the gentleman next to me fit but barely. He did his best to stay in his space though. I myself was exhausted so I offered a deal. I said he could spread out if he didn't mind me propping myself against him to sleep. It turned into a win-win. Lol

    ReplyDelete