Thursday, June 7, 2018

Awards Ceremonies

A few years ago I attended an awards ceremony with two babies. That ceremony was 2 hours long, 1 1/2 hours too long. They gave everyone awards just to give awards. It was then that I stopped going to them. Anthony had his ceremony to go from middle school to high school and did plan on attending that. However, Anthony said he didn't want to go. I know why, he worked hard to get out of special ed this year but they don't give any awards for that. He said that he didn't want any of their "here you go" awards.

So instead we went to our own awards ceremony at the trampoline park.




I didn't get to Emma's awards ceremony. She got an award for missing 3 days of school. Seriously! I wonder how many days they went down to. She also got an athletic award, I asked her what she did for it. She said she didn't know. OK. Then she got some atta boy award for which she did nothing. The only one that was of value to me was the all B's award. That is a great improvement for her and I am proud of her for finally seeing that she is capable of doing the work when she tries.

Larissa and I are still working on homeschooling work. We are going to work sporadically through the summer. Some days we don't finish work depending on how the night went with seizures so we have some things we want to finish up.

My kids got out of school last Friday, is everyone else out for summer?





2 comments:

  1. I hate useless awards ceremonies and I don't go to them. My kids have all reached the point where they scorn useless awards. Fortunately, our schools here in Washington don't do those types of awards. W won some awards that were definitely earned. K&M didn't get any awards, and they are okay with that. W only has 3 half days left. K&M have two full days and one half day, but they are all done with work. It's parties, watching movies, signing yearbooks, etc. for them. M graduates from elementary school on Wednesday, and we'll definitely be at that ceremony! She failed 5th grade last year, was in a 5/6 combo class this year, and managed A/B Honor Roll this last quarter...for 6th grade! She is also getting an award for NO MISSED OR LATE HOMEWORK ALL YEAR! I'm so proud of the improvements she made this year. She absolutely worked hard for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been out since the 25th of May. 2 hours! Yikes! We feel like our 8th grade honors day goes long if we are over 45 minutes! (We also don't give out fluff awards.)

    ReplyDelete