Monday, June 25, 2018

Large Family Travel

We love to travel. I love to share new experiences with my kids. I think that one of my biggest challenges with a big family is being able to afford family vacations. I know that if we had never expanded our family my husband and I would be empty nesters! Oh the travels we could make.

One of the places that is top on our list is Alaska. My husband really wants to see Alaska. Well, Alaska requires flying. It is also a long trip which means we are not willing to leave all the kids behind. However, some days I'd prefer to not take all of the kids, I don't think I can travel for 2 weeks with a teenager that does not respect me. Naturally the thing that slows me down the most is financial. It is quite expensive travelling to Alaska and cruising with a group of 8ish.

Many of our trip are closer to home where we can drive. When we flew to Texas on our last trip there a huge expense was the airfare and big van rental.It was a huge expense so that my kids could meet my dad and all he wanted to do was a dinner at a restaurant. Well, at least they got to see the Alamo.

When we travel lodging and food are obviously the big costs (unless you are buying Disney tickets). We have gotten so big that we either stay in two rooms or we rent a suite. On our recent trip to Myrtle Beach we stayed in a three bedroom suite. It was nice and came with a kitchen. We had breakfast and lunch in the room but went out for dinner. The only extra activity we paid for was the Ripley's Aquarium where they offered a military discount of 50%.

In August we are travelling back up to Deep Creek. We have rented a big house and two cabins. Most of our meals will be cooked there with a few in town. We will rent tubes and possibly go rafting. The biggest expense there is lodging. Most of us will be going on that trip. I think Kassi won't be there as she will be very pregnant.

Another item on our bucket list is Ireland. I don't know if I will ever be able to budget that one!

We are always looking for ways to save and new places to see. If you have any suggestions please share them!

1 comment:

  1. Groupon Destinations, Airbnb, SkyAuction are a few that come to mind. Also write to the airlines and cruise lines and introduce your family and how you grew. I'd bet they'd offer discounts because of the uniqueness. Heck, write to Ellen too!

    ReplyDelete