Monday, February 14, 2011

This n That

Seems like the days are racing by. My school is dominating my time making it difficult to juggle things. I thought that the foster kids foster care review board was this week.....ooops, it was last week. I totally missed it. Funny I talked to the SW about it and planned on attending it, I just don't know what happened to the missing week! It really is not a big deal, I feel that the foster care review board makes its decisions but they have no impact on anything. I think the process was developed to make more paperwork for all involved.
.
In more foster news, the kids court date will no longer be in March. It MAY be in May. Crazy, so much blame is put on the SW for all the shortcomings of foster care, but I find that most of the time it is the court that makes things go so slowly. If one person can't make it on the court date, then it gets delayed for at least one month.
.
The foster babies have a visit this week and then next week the baby has a birthday. I really didn't think that she would be here for her first birthday so I need to decide what to do for it. I need to buy her something but am not sure what. I have Christmas presents bagged up to go home because we have so many toys. Hmmmm.....I will have to think about it.
.
In other kid news.....
.
I received a phone call from Anthony's teacher today. He is failing math...in the first grade. They want to change his IEP to take away the extra reading help and increase the math time. I agree since his reading is on grade level. Originally she wanted a March 17th IEP date and I told her that was too far away. I asked if he could have his services changed without the formal IEP meeting. Naturally she called me back while I was in class and left a message asking if I could come on Wednesday at 10am. I need to remember to call her back in the morning to let her know that I will be there.
.
Today I was at the high school for Joselin. She has been having problems getting the accommodations that are stated in her IEP. She has one teacher who wasn't willing to make the accommodations. I made a stink about it so hopefully that problem will be corrected. I shouldn't have to go to the school to ensure that the IEP is being followed but I find that in high school it is a struggle to get the teachers to read them.
.
The kids came home from school today with bags of candy. Some parents made up cute bags with candy, pencils and such....making me look like a slacker. We did the FunDip Valentines (at the last possible moment). I did get the kids a little something but nothing big. I don't really do Valentine's Day big. I don't decorate the house or make cupcakes. Honestly, I do the minimum for this day. Seems like everything turns into a big money pit and I don't always feel like buying into it. Naturally, I got my Valentine some of his favorite candy and a mushy card. I received some beautiful flowers, chocolate (of course) and a mushy card. So, I consider our Valentine's Day a success. How much do you do for Valentine's Day? Do you get tired of all the holidays that have become big money pits?
.
I can't believe that it is only Monday, for some reason it seems later in the week. I have a full week so I need to get to bed! Nite everyone.

3 comments:

  1. We wanted to do more for the kids but our baby is now in the hospital so who knows when our Stinkpot will get to have his Valentines Day. Foster care is such a hurry up and wait game. Keeping up with all those IEPs is work. We only had one at a time so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We currently have 4 kids with IEP's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two on IEPs. My college son shouldhave services in place but he's never talked to anyone about his autism. He'd rather tough it out.

    ReplyDelete