Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bullying

I received a text message on my cell phone today. Sarah was pleading with me to have Jason pick her up, she was terrified that a girl was going to beat her up. This girl bullied Sarah in her freshman year but we were never able to get it to stop.
.
We tried to work with the school that year and nothing stopped the bullying. Finally, after her anxiety got so bad, we had to pull her out of school the last month and do medical homebound. I determined that I was not going to let that happen again. My child should not be afraid to go to school. Should not come home in tears.
.
After that miserable freshman year we moved to Texas. Sarah did not have any problems that year. None. Nada.
.
We moved back to South Carolina this year and Sarah went back to the old school. The first semester was pretty good. She was also out of school for half the day at ATEC. This semester she is at the school all day.
.
Shortly after this semester started the intimidations started. Bit by bit a small group of kids were starting to make her life miserable. Finally today a girl threatened to beat her up. The sad thing is I know why these kids pick on her....she is an easy target. She is small (4'11" and 100 lbs), she looks years younger then 17, she is timid, she forgives easily, she is quiet and causes no trouble.

Well, I have had enough. I went and picked her up from school and told them that I would be withdrawing her. They told me that I can't without joining a homeschool group.
.
So, Sarah is going to be out of school sick until I can determine what homeschool group we will be joining. She is sick of the intimidations. Sick of the threats. Sick of the bullying.

5 comments:

  1. I hate girl bullies! And the sad part of it is, they get away with it. Too bad Sarah isn't a black belt or something. Wouldn't that be a nice surprise for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate bullies period there is just no need for it. I hope Sarah is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy to lend aid on the homeschooling front if needed! I've got two in highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know what's sad? Sarah was bullied from this girl in 9th grade. We pulled her out of school then because of inaction by the high school leadership. We moved to San Antonio for a year, and Sarah did not have a problem. We move back to this area and it started all over again. Enough is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right- NOBODY should be afraid to go to school. Since the school won't take action I'm glad for Sarah's sake she won't have to go back. Boys can be rough but girls can be downright mean and cruel!

    ReplyDelete