Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Laundry and Kids

                                                        Anthony's laundry basket today.

Yesterday Anthony was taking a long time to get dressed for school.  I peeked my head into his room and asked him what was wrong.  He told me that he couldn't find any shorts.  I told him to wear jeans if he couldn't find any shorts.  I also asked him why he hadn't taken his laundry basket to the laundry room.  No answer.  I reminded him that if he wanted his clothing washed he had to take it to the laundry room.......I only tell this to him OFTEN.

He later came out of his room in shorts.  I questioned him about it because I thought he said he was out of shorts (hard to believe because he has a lot of clothing).  He said that he didn't have any shorts to match the shirt he wanted to wear.  It took about 30 minutes for him to come to the conclusion that if he wanted to wear shorts he would have to change his shirt.  Is this a normal length of time for an 8 year old boy?  He does like to match.

Can you tell what shorts he wore yesterday?  They are on the top of his laundry basket which is still not in the laundry room.  Today I asked him why he hadn't taken his clothing to the laundry room.  He said he didn't know.  I should have known.  So tell me, anyone have success in getting kids to take their clothing to the laundry room without being told?  I feel that he needs to take some responsibility for his own clothing.

Tell me your secrets!

3 comments:

  1. hah! if you find the answer PLEASE let me know. Even my "more responsible" kids seem to have issue with this. I expect them to bring their clothes to the laundry and I expect them to take their clean and folded clothes and put them away. You can image how many of them regularly leave the house in crumpled up, clean but wrinkled laundry.
    Seeing as how my husband doesn't put his laundry away, or take it to the laundry room, I'm not hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell him it has to be there before he eats breakfast. Works here : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have tried many "carrot and stick" methods that simply does not matter to him. It is like Anthony's mind gets stuck in the middle of a thinking process.

    ReplyDelete