Friday, March 13, 2020

Emergency Placement

Our house is undergoing a lot of change as we shift rooms. In other words it is a disaster. So I had told our licensing worker that we would take emergency placements only. Emergency placements are for kids who don’t have an identified permanent foster home. The ones last weekend were moved from their foster home and needed a place until a new home could be found. Our current kids came into care late and they will look for them a placement today, trying to get as many siblings together as possible. Sometimes it takes days to find a placement because of a shortage of foster homes. We actually have taken each child that they have called about. Last night we got a call at 9pm asking if we could take 2 boys for the night, they had just come into care. Actually they were part of a big sibling group. We said yes and waited. By midnight I wondered if they had found a different placement but I waited up anyways watching my taped Designer Challenge. At 1am two very tired boys showed up. They are Benjamin’s age. I can’t imagine him in that situation. They were so tired that I had to carry them upstairs to bed. They insisted on sleeping together and I let them. They were asleep before I even walked out the door.

I warned DSS when they called that I had three grandchildren over. When they showed up Vaida was sleeping on the mattress that is currently stored on the family room floor. She normally sleeps with us. Actually when I woke up at 6am she was snuggled up to me. Owen got up at 6am and drank his almond milk and fell asleep on me. He is currently sleeping on that mattress. I am going to miss that mattress once I decide where to put it.

The boys are getting picked up at 9am. I have been listening for signs of movement but they are still asleep. I imagine that they will be confused when they get up. Yesterday was a long day for them.

Anyone else do emergency placements? It is sad that there is such a need because of a shortage of foster homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment