Saturday, September 10, 2011

Why don't they listen?

Our teen is the first child who has come to our home able to speak, able to tell us about her life.

We knew that our younger foster children had been neglected or abused.  One came from the burn clinic.  Others came with extreme delays and attachment issues.  They came with clues that they were neglected or abused.  However, they could not tell us specifically what they endured.

Our teen is now opening up to us.  She is telling us about her life.  I will not share it because it is her story. 

I will say that it has made me realize why I do foster care.  It has made me realize that there are many other children out there hiding their pain yet hoping that someone will notice.

They don't know what to do.  They don't know how to get out of the situation.  They feel alone.

However, what happens if they finally seek help?  You would think that they would get it.  We are a society that is supposed to protect our children.

That isn't always the case. I will say this....my foster child had to call the police three times to get help, three times.

So.....why don't they listen when a child speaks up? 

1 comment:

  1. children get no respect. animals have more rights. sickening.

    ReplyDelete