Friday, November 29, 2013

Giving Thanks

Today we gathered together to celebrate Thanksgiving.  Two kids were not able to make it; Kassi was working and Joselin spent the day with her boyfriends family.  We hope to have both of them with us for Christmas.  We have invited the foster kids parents to our home for Christmas as well.  If things go as well as they have the kids will go home in January.  We pray that they do and that the changes "stick".

This year there is so much that I am thankful for, to name a few......

The many plates at our table, even though they are not fancy china as I had once envisioned using. Instead they are corelle from Walmart, almost child proof.  We need almost child proof in our home.

The forks at each setting.  We were down to a few forks which required a trip to Walmart yesterday.  That in itself was a blessing.  In our country I have to freedom to get in my car and drive to the store to make a purchase.  That is a freedom that I seldom think about until I read in the news that not all women in this world have the freedom to do so.

The children who sit at each of those plates.  They give me many opportunities to work on my forgiveness and patience.  They have taught me many things; magic erasers work, peanut butter does get gum out of hair, a kiss and band aid are great healers and love is boundless.  Although I make many mistakes and could use do-overs myself, each of my children love me in spite of my faults.

The space that does not have a chair.  My mom is still with us this year and celebrated her 75th birthday today.  She has taught me that I can do so much more than I ever thought I could do.  I am thankful that my children are in a multi-generational family and are learning that we don't just throw away family when they need us most.

All the items in those bookshelves.  Although they don't show in the picture, they represent many of the travels that I have had the opportunity to take; Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Germany, Hawaii and Egypt to name a few.  I am so thankful that I have had so many opportunities to see so much of this world and to experience different cultures.

Best of all....the Christmas tree and what it represents.

1 comment: