Saturday, November 2, 2013

Art Around the World

Larissa and I have decided that we would like to do art around the world as part of our homeschooling. That is the beauty of homeschooling, flexibility.

It took me a while to find a globe but I finally did at Books a Million.

For our first project I decided on Day of the Dead/ Dia de Los Muertos.  It is celebrated in Mexico on November 1 and 2.  First we learned a little about Mexico then the history of Day of the Dead.  I learned a lot myself.


For art we learned about symmetry.  It is nice how you can learn so much with one little lesson.


We had a little fun with supplies as well.




This is a nice link for information on Day of the Dead for anyone who is interested. 

I am creating these lessons myself so if anyone has any country/art suggestions please mention them to me.

2 comments:

  1. I love how much you can learn with art! Kate and I have done some neat art projects to go with her writing and history assignments. It's her favorite part of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nicely done! and good for you guys. I know people have done Egypt with both line drawing, and silhouettes. for Italy you might look up Da Vinci's method of measurement, "da vinci measurements of the body" (one of the examples has boxer shorts covering up the traditional classical nude male) or Michaelangelo's ceiling work at the sistine chapel and she can "draw on the ceiling" You tape a piece of paper to the under side of your table and she lies on her back (I think he was on his back on scaffolding) and "paints"
    And even though Picasso worked in France he was from Spain. One of his periods was collage, like his guitar series http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/1101 which you could recreate with paper bags and toilet paper rolls.
    hmmm... I'm thinking of some projects to do with the kids tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete