Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Changes Continued

We are still undergoing a lot of changes here. When Jason came back he took over my shop. All my craft stuff is up in the FROG. What a mess! Now it looks like he will be going to Alabama after the first of the year. he has a friend who recently moved there for a job and he wants Jason to come out with a guaranteed job. Jason is seriously considering it and I am contemplating what to do with the shop when he does. I may just move my painting supplies and make it a painting studio/guest room.

We have also changed churches.  When Anthony started asking to sit with us instead of going to the children's church we realized that there was a problem.  He said that the kids wouldn't talk to him.  Sarah who volunteered with the children's church said that it was true.  She also said that when they had to go into teams, no one wanted to be with Anthony and that Anthony was the best behaved boy in the group.  We are now attending a church that does not have a building yet, it meets in a funeral home.  We really enjoy this church and so do the kids.  We actually feel accepted here.

At our last church I asked to paint murals/build anything and such but was always told no.  I have asked to do the same at this church and have been put to work.  Currently I am building a gingerbread house for the local Christmas parade.  I am having fun with that project.






I was also excluded from the mission team.  I went to Guatemala on a mission trip through a different organization yet was never asked to participate in any mission activities with the church.  However, I did receive an email from them last week inviting me to go to Charlotte to pack Christmas boxes.  Oh, and I was also invited to drive my van.  I am not sure what to think of that.  I didn't respond and am just trying to let it go.

Neither John or I were brought up with any religious training.  We didn't attend church, say any prayers or read the Bible.  Nothing.  As an adult it was even harder to become a Christian.  The most judgmental people I knew were Christians.  The most hypocritical people I knew were Christians.  I can't tell you how many times I was told that I was going to hell.  Let me tell you, if you want to convert someone do not tell them that they will go to hell if they don't believe.  It doesn't work.  If anything it pushes them further away.  I think that the best way to lead someone to believe is by actually living life as a Christian.  They are watching you.  When you lie, steal, judge, and condemn others are watching.  If you tell someone you are a Christian then expect that they will look at your life. 

John and I were baptized about 10 years ago.  We were in a great church at the time and were accepted.  However, we moved and have struggled ever since.  We were doing fine until we started to foster children who were not white.  It is amazing how many Christians still look at skin color.  How many Christians judge us for adopting black children.  I say that it is their loss.  That they are missing out on some great relationships and blessings because of their views.  Hopefully this will be our last church home.  It feels like it is right for our family.

John is still struggling with what he should be doing.  I find it so easy for myself, I feel led to work with children.  He feels that as the man he needs to be supporting us.  However, he has not been able to get a good job.  In February he will hit the 2 year mark of no employment.  The VA training program has not led to any type of employment.  I wonder if the VA program is just not where he is supposed to be.  I would appreciate prayers for him as he seems so lost.

Tomorrow is Sarah's birthday, so I am off to look for pictures and make a pumpkin cheesecake.  Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. I hope the new church works out for you. Having a church family that loves and accepts you makes all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete