Monday, October 22, 2012

Gas Leak

Well, last week was a total bust and this week isn't proving to be must better.

I did learn something today....if you turn on your heater and head to bed make sure it is actually heating first.  The weather here has been great but kind of cool in the evenings.  I turned on the heat because of my mom who is always cold.  When I got up in the morning I thought that the heater hadn't come on.  I noticed it was blowing but didn't think on it much in the morning rush.  I did think it odd that it was blowing cold air.

I went a did errands and then around noon Sarah came in the front door and said that it smelled like gas and she could hear hissing.  Immediately I knew that the heater was blowing cold air because the gas was leaking out.  The side and front of our house smelled of gas.  I turned off the heater and it stopped hissing.  I dread seeing our next gas bill!  I am thankful that nothing happened.  I can't imagine what would have happened if someone had come by and lit a cigarette or something.  The heater repairman will be out tomorrow.  We will not be turning on the heat tonight.



2 comments:

  1. Glad it didn't blow up or something!! Ours is electric and I haven't tried it on heat yet. Still using AC but today smelling that lovely electrical fire smell!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary!! Do you guys have a carbon monoxide detector? They're pretty inexpensive ($17).
    I just found your blog. I'm enjoying it. :)

    ~Shelly

    ReplyDelete