Monday, October 29, 2012

Childhood

The weather here was fantastic over the weekend. The kids played outside for quite a bit of it. They played and they occasionally fought.  There was a time that they spent more time running in to tattle than actually playing.  However, over time they have learned to play more than tattle.  The girls have now been in our home a year.

A year of stability.

A year of reclaiming their childhood.

A year of learning how to be a part of a family.

A year of learning trust.

 
 
There are still issues to overcome but they are much smaller then they were a year ago.
 
These kids don't know it but they have a gift, they have a gift of their childhood.  They have many years in which to play and make childhood memories.  They don't have to worry if there will be food on the table or appropriate clothing to wear. (It took Michelle 9 months to finally say that she was full after a meal.)
 
They still have many years to build sibling bonds and learn appropriate relationships.


 
I grew up protected.  I thought that every child was free to play and enjoy their childhood. 
 
 
                                                
 
Now I know that is not true, to have a healthy childhood is a gift.
 


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on one year! I know at the beginning the tantrums were crazy!! Jeff is here visiting. I wish I could do his childhood over. We lost so much with the stealing and lying. Maybe I'd handle it better now. Or maybe not. Playing the "what if" game with myself with him being here this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I can't believe it has been a year already. I love the updates pictures!

    ReplyDelete