Sunday, June 23, 2019

More Workers and Paperwork

Foster care/adoptions means having many people trouping through your house at any time. Since we have gone regional instead of just county placements the possibility of drop in visits is greatly diminished, they don't want to drive for an hour and find out you aren't home. Still every month we see social worker for two different placements, adoption workers for two, GAL for two, occasionally we see our licensing worker and annually fire inspection.

Last week we had a new adoption worker and her supervisor come for our newest placement. The other day he said to me that when he gets adopted he wants to be called Michael so that is what I will call him here. They took him upstairs to talk with him. They said he told them on several occasions that he wants us to adopt him. Will this happen? I don't know. We are his 5th placement this time in care, they were in care before. Actually, we would love to adopt him, he just fits in so well. Yes, that would make child 13 if both adoptions go through. No, not our original plan! However, he talks about a lot of family and I wonder if someone will come forward for him.

What surprised me is how things have changed. They mentioned that they see that we have power but the wanted to see our food and even what we have in the fridge and that we have running water! Makes me wonder who is putting in for adoptions. We have never had anyone look in our fridge before or check to see that we had water. Then they wanted to walk through the entire house. Ugh, my house is a mess. My bedroom is a huge laundry sorting area. The younger boys room is full of clothing I am sorting too. I took them upstairs to the girls room and simply bypassed my room while doing a lot of talking. Then we get back to the other flight of stairs and they decide that they had seen enough. They had seen Michael's room. Honestly, if they want a totally uncluttered home they would never let us adopt anyone! They told me that they were going to look into all the relatives and then they left.

In the meantime we are still working on the adoption paperwork for our little one who will be called Jacob if we adopt. We are getting close but right now we are stuck because we don't have copies of our divorce petitions. Not our divorce decrees but the petitions. I don't think I ever had such a things. We have been married since 1992 so any such paper would have long been lost. We adopted 6 kids without it. I was told that the petition gives the reason why someone wants a divorce and someone could have said because of abuse. OK, I had full custody of my kids, John had joint custody of his kid and we have adopted 7 kids altogether and foster many more. Seems kind of unnecessary. She says that the lawyers want that. Hmmmm, what a pain. I am heading to Dallas and then to Bryan so I plan on going by the courthouse while I am there. But seriously, what a pain. John needs to call the courthouse where he got divorced. If they don't have a copy then they have to send something stating that they don't have it.

Funny how something that seems so simple annoys for some reason. I have almost all of the physicals done, I just have Sarah left. She isn't happy because for the first time they are saying she needs to get a TB test. Perhaps taking the next week off from the paperwork will put me in a better mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment