Monday, November 7, 2016

Struggling

I am really struggling with my mom right now. She is miserable. She seems to have forgotten about all of her strokes and the fact that she hasn't walked in over 5 years. She cries and cries that she wants to go home, wants her mom. Today I tried to distract her with some toy magazines telling her to pick out some stuff. Then she cried and cried that she wanted to go shopping....way past dark when I told her the stores were closed. Still she cried to go shopping.

Now she is crying that she wants to walk like everybody else. The kids are upset. I am upset. She is miserable and everyone around her is too.

She is beyond reasoning or understanding what is going on. I had hoped that it was related to a UTI but antibiotics have not improved her mental state. I feel so bad for her. I don't know what to do. I tried calling the doctors office to talk with her doctor but no one answered. I need to call again tomorrow. I don't know that there is anything that they could do to help or not. It is hard because she is so immobile.

I wish that there was someone with all the answers that could tell me what to do. I know I have been complaining about this a lot lately, it has really been getting that much worse. My husband is upset about it and looks to me for answers.

5 comments:

  1. Have you tired Seroquel it may help with the crying. Sounds like vascular dementia end stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she has vascular dementia. From what I understand it is different from alzheimers in that it progresses in steps. Apparently she has strokes many which we don't notice except that she loses something. She will stay the same for a while and then suddenly have a deficit in certain areas. I saw the MRI results of her first stroke and the damage was massive. Some of her strokes I noticed, some I didn't until later when I realized that she had lost something. Sometimes it is something big and sometimes something smaller. I do not like this stage at all. The crying is heartbreaking and her confusion is terrible. I hope to reach her doctor tomorrow to see what we can give her for relief.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry you are going through this. There are no easy answers. Sending a long distance hug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate this for her. I hate this for you. I hate this for your whole family. I wish there was something I could do to help. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that your Mum is at this stage. It is very disheartening to listen to the crying. Hoping the Doctors have something they can do. Meanwhile thinking of you and sending love your way.

    ReplyDelete