Thursday, April 12, 2018

Seizures/home schooling

Larissa has been on a new seizure medication for a bit, long enough that we should be seeing some improvement...... nope.

Today was a busy day, I took Larissa to the orthodontist, lunch and then dropped Sarah off at college.


On the ride home I saw Larissa's hand pop up and then heard her raspy breathing. I knew at that moment that she was having a seizure. I can't even explain to you the feeling that I get when I am driving along and realize that my kid is having a seizure. It is painful, it is frustrating, it is sad, it is scary, it makes me feel that in some way I am failing her because we haven't found the medication that works and it is impacting her life.


We got home and I did her hair while she made some slime. (She is addicted to that stuff, I have bought so much glue it isn't even funny!)

We went to dance and then when we should have done homeschooling she was too exhausted to do so. Instead she went to bed.


Homeschooling has evolved. Because of the kids we homeschool in the evening. It has been working out the best for us because her mornings are shot. When you have several seizures at night it makes mornings hard. When you also have them during the day it makes evenings hard too!

We are struggling with school. We are doing Saxon math because I like the repetitiveness of it. However, we often have to stop because she suddenly forgets facts that she had mastered or some things are just difficult for her to get. We will stop and do extra work in areas where she is struggling. These days it is often.

Sometimes I feel as though I am failing in the homeschool department. Unless something suddenly changes, she is not going to catch up, she is not going to be able to get the credits for math that she needs to graduate. I have been told by someone who works with troubled youth that I should teach her life skills, what she wants to learn and the GED. Not sure where I stand with that. Anyone homeschooling and struggling?

We have been having fun with science and some other projects. 







On my stressful days I paint late into the night.....



 




She is now taller than me but doesn't acknowledge it yet.



4 comments:

  1. Have you considered CBD oil for the seizures.Our youngest has seizures, his seizures are controlled by medication. He has had 3 seizures, but never on a day he has used the CBD oil. It doesn't taste good, so I put it in an empty capsule that I buy from the health food store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We struggle with homeschooling!! My boys are 13 and 11. We do math and language arts at home, and they do classes at a co-op for the rest. But my oldest has “significant learning disabilities in reading, writing, and math” and is far behind his same-age peers in grade level. My eleven year old has Aspergers and does well most days. It took us five years to find a curriculum that all three of us liked and did well on. And both of my littles started public school (K and pre-K) this year, so that has helped also.
    Doing school in the evening sounds like a great solution to the sleep problems. We have similar issues with remembering concepts from day-to-day. Some days I get angry with bio mom (not ever out loud) for making the choices she did and exposing my child to the substances she did and making his life hard. But we just keep on going...
    Alice from Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. seizures suck so bad my daughter has them and meds help for a lil bit and then stop. its a never ending cycle

    ReplyDelete