Saturday, April 7, 2018

Foster Care Review Board

I regretted missing court for Itty so when I got notice for the foster care review board I decided to take Itty and attend. I always reluctantly go to these meetings. Honestly I don't see where they hold much sway with the court. I haven't seen that in any of my cases. I took Itty into a room full of little old ladies, haha. Seeing the child you are discussing sure does make a difference. Either way I was not surprised with their recommendation, TPR and adoption. Given the information presented to them that was the only logical outcome.

Now we sit back and wait to see how dad does completing his plan in jail. (Yes, insert eye roll). I know that the objective is always reunification. I get that, we try to encourage the parents. I have encouraged them and sent pictures to remind them of why they need to do their plan. But in the end it is up to them. They chose to leave the state so haven't seen their child in 10 months and haven't sent him anything for Christmas or his birthday, not a thing.

To me completing the plan as part of a mandated sentence while in jail has no value. Heck, what else to they have to do, they are a captive audience. Obviously I am quite opinionated on this one! I feel that as time goes on and longer we are fostering I am getting more cynical. To find out that kids who went home are still in jeopardy as their mom is arrested for selling narcotics to the police just makes me all the more aware of that pull of drugs. I say, and have always said, that overcoming the pull of a drug addiction is very hard. Staying clean is very hard. Trying to do it and get your family back on track is hard. Drugs are hurting so many families, people, kids.

Stepping off my soap box.

No comments:

Post a Comment