Tuesday, October 2, 2018

My Mom

My life has been quite busy. John left town last week to go to DC so I was solo. Literally I tried to catch up on laundry all week and failed. I at least kept the kids and my mom fed!

Lately my mom has been on my mind a lot, she it still with us. I get 30 hours a week of help which is very helpful. I don't think I could do this without help. She has had the same care provider for the last 5 years which has been very nice. Charlotte is like a member of the family, been here longer than Benjamin. My mom continues to have a very slow decline. While we aren't dealing with any bed sores, she does have very fragile skin. There is a spot on her arm that she picks at and it is difficult to get it to stop bleeding. We use the tape that sticks to itself. If we remove it she picks at it. She is slowly losing what little self help skills she has. She rarely uses silverware, she prefers to eat finger foods. So we either give her finger foods or feed her. We have been noticing a lot of food in her bed and I have observed her, she will forget that she is eating. She will lay the food on her lap and grab a drink and then never go back to eating.

Every night before I go to bed I go in and check on her and give her a snack. She is always awake for her snack. Those applesauce packets that they make are great, she loves them and can manage them herself. She is also a lover of sweets. Yesterday she requested something coconut so I picked her up a Mounds bar.

When we moved her in I had no idea that years later I would still be caring for her. I can't see putting her in a nursing home now, I am not sure that she would get the care that she needs since she rarely talks and wouldn't be able to tall me what is going on. I also worry for her skin which doesn't take much to tear and bruise.

Sometimes pictures pop up on my facebook of her and I think how much better she looked back then but I remember that back then I thought she was looking pretty bad! I am just not sure how this will all turn out but I do know that she is slowly declining.

Anyone else caring for an elderly parent who is declining?

No comments:

Post a Comment