Sunday, August 19, 2018

Disclosure

One of my concerns with foster care is a lack of disclosure. When we said yes to our last placement of two brothers we were told that they were coming from a foster home that only takes short term up to ten days placements so they were trying to find another home for them and they had no behavior concerns. They only needed a placement for two weeks. Well, I already knew full well that it may not be two weeks because rarely is it as short term as they say.

However, it quickly became apparent to me that the younger child had some behavior issues. Issues that escalated. At one point I spoke with someone and was given a clue that they were moved for behavior problems. When the escalation went to the point of getting kitchen knives it went beyond my abilities to keep everyone safe. Now, I know that in my home I reported his behaviors. The ER stated he needed to be in a therapeutic home.

Surprise, he was not sent to a therapeutic home. As a matter of fact, his behaviors were not given to the new foster home. Already there is talk that he probably won't be there much longer. I recently had a GAL visit. She thinks it will be fine because the new home is well disciplined. Uh, we are too and that was the problem. As he didn't get his way he escalated. I told her that he would escalate when he didn't get his way. Apparently his behaviors are where they were at week two in my home. I can already see what will happen next week. They are talking of therapy but that won't happen quickly. He will have another move.

I can't even ask why they don't tell us of these behaviors because I know why, because they are only interested in finding a placement. I have seen that they don't care what danger they could be putting the new home into. At this point I am leery to take a child from another foster home. I assume that they are getting moved for behavior problems and I am not a therapeutic home.

Any other foster parents out there who feel that information was withheld from you?


1 comment:

  1. I asked a child (20 months old) to be moved from my home to a home without other children (or at least without children similar age) because things were not working out with my other child 3 months older. Apparently DSS told the new family he was 4 years old. Their age range was 3-6 years old. When he showed up on their doorstep, he obviously was NOT 4 years old. I had had him for three months, so either they intentionally lied, or didn't even look at his file. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete