Monday, April 13, 2020

Sick Benjamin/Easter 2020

I have been a bit exhausted. Thursday I took Benjamin to the doctor. His head and throat hurt and he had a fever. He had a low fever when I called and by time we got to the office it was 104.7. He had a swollen lymph node in his neck area where he said he had a sore throat and his forehead hurt. No respiratory issues, no gut issues. Only one in our bubble of 15 who was sick. They are thinking sinus infection so off we went with antibiotic prescription. Thursday night was Ok, some fever. Friday was ok, even thought he was better. However, Friday night his fever went up to 105 so he got a bath and I searched for Motrin so I could do Motrin and Tylenol to keep his fever down. Strangest feeling, normally I could do a run to Walmart but everything is closed by 8. I did find my Motrin and kept his temperature down. By down I mean about 101. Same pattern for Saturday. What was odd was this morning his temperature was low but at 11am when I checked him it was up to 105. About every 30 minutes I check him. Every three hours at night. I am tired. I called the doctor and they said to just make sure he stays hydrated. That actually isn’t a problem as he drinks fine. The antibiotics haven’t helped at all. I am not sure what we are dealing with. He is still the only one sick at the house. If he has pain reliever his head doesn’t hurt. But he looks sick in the eyes. 


Today was Easter. A day to celebrate but honestly I was dragging. Thankfully Sarah stepped up and did a lot of the cooking. I never found my baskets so we did simple. I had bought the kids each a pool towel, some candy and painted each one a rock. I wrapped their candy in their towel and put their rock by their towel. They were happiest with their personal rock.

To be honest, all these holidays and gifts are a challenge financially. I am curious, any big families out there? How do you deal with all these gift occasions? Some days I feel bah humbug. There are so many events that have gotten bigger since I was a kid. My parents didn’t give me anything for Valentines Day. I swapped cards at school and had a party, that was all. I see pictures of kids getting electronics and such. I simply can’t afford to do big. Painted rock is in my budget and more personal to me. Challenge for me is I love giving gifts, I just have to be more creative about it.


I did enjoy having Tasha and Ethan over. They are in our bubble as we are their babysitters. We used to share babysitting with Ethan’s mom but she has health issues so they are quarantined from each other. Jason is living here but hasn’t been working as some employees tested positive. Miguel is still here although Joselin says she will have a place at the end of the month and will be able to take him. Sarah lives here and is working on her masters. Obviously all our minor kids live here plus a foster teen. We are a large group.

Benjamin felt well enough to come join us, he chose to wear the mask he got at the doctors and his gardening gloves.


How is everyone doing during this time? Buzybee did you get settles and find toilet paper? Let me know how y’all are doing. Also, what other subjects I missed! I need to know people are out there!

3 comments:

  1. We're doing okay in the ATL. My husband is telecommuting and I am doing what I always do - holding everything and everyone together. My two school-aged sons are, of course, at home with us now...which pleases my 5yo but also puts him on edge. My grown son is very far away and still working so I constantly worry about him. We are all aware of how lucky we are to have enough of everything we need, even if we could use some more tolet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holidays are definitely simple for my group. With the littles their thrilled with hunting eggs, and new pencils.
    We are getting settled, when the truck arrived I was beyond thrilled to find I had used toilet paper rolls to cushion some big breakables, woohoo. Every few shopping trips I score a package here and there so we're surviving lol.

    Storms missed us this weekend, I was a little worried about storms heading your way, glad everyone is safe. Praying Benjamin gets better soon. He looked miserable in this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a big family, but we still don't go crazy for holidays. They have had the same baskets they've had for 9 years. They mostly got candy, but they each got a card game, a bunch of balloons (because they can do that in the backyard) and fun socks. I don't know when Easter and Valentine's became gift holidays, but they aren't at our house. We are doing well here in AZ, other than being sick of being cooped up. But I'll take cooped up over sick any day! I hope Benjamin is feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete