Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Foster update

Youngest foster baby, his parents came out on Mother’s Day to see him.  He is growing so fast. Such a laid back baby! He took his time to move around but I wasn’t worried because of his easy going behavior. However, in the last two weeks he has started moving to the point where he is pulling to a standing position. That meant a few late nights because he wanted to get around and explore. He is also cutting his first tooth. Court is in two weeks, please pray that they get heard. This baby should have been home long ago.

Little man is our challenge. He is receiving Babynet and speech services. We are still waiting on an OT evaluation for his sensory seeking issues. He has been approved for 12 hours a week for a personal care attendant. As he grows we are concerned that perhaps some of his issues are medical related. He is milk intolerant and in spite of removing all milk products he still has gut issues. Some days he is just a super hyper 2 year old and other days he wakes up crying and is a challenge all day long. We have referrals. Still not talking. Don’t know why. Interesting how people have opinions on why. First thought that many have is autism but he does not have autism. Then some think because he doesn’t have to talk and we do it for him. Umm, no. Actually if you spend time with him you would see that he wants so badly to talk. He fibbers a lot. We even had someone say it was because we had too many kids! I find that insulting. So, he actually has more people to communicate with. He copies Benjamin and if you met him you would know he talks A LOT. I had a teenager recently tell me that Benjamin has a bigger vocabulary then him. We talk, we eat dinner together and talk. He is immersed in talking. It is so frustrating for him. Apraxia (?) was mentioned today but then dismissed. We just aren’t sure. Speech lady thinks it is a combination of we spoil him and he doesn’t have to talk. Yes, it annoys me. Babynet provider doesn’t think either of those are the reason.

Newest kid is fitting right in. He had a visit today and was finally able to get his Christmas gifts. He was so happy.  We had bought him some wrestling figures and he has a bike but my kids have so much and he had so little. His social worker called me. She said she has never seen him so happy and he looks so much healthier. He has lost some weight and his hair is no longer shaved every two weeks. I think swimming every day and being able to eat as many servings of food that he needs help.  He does call me mom and have me Mother’s Day cards. John calls him the bridge (between Emma 12 and Benjamin 5) and believes we will adopt him. His Sw says he is always anxious to get him after visits. Is he honeymooning? I don’t know. He has had a few anger issues but nothing we haven’t dealt with in Anthony. His anger issue got him moved from his last home but from what I hear of it I can understand why. Knowing what we know about the case anger is a normal expression. We are trying to find a therapist.

Disclaimer, this is written on a phone, in the dark, in bed with fat fingers. Excuse any typos!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear an update. Sounds like you are doing the best possible in all circumstances. What else can you do?!!!
    So sad for youngest baby's family! We will definitely pray for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this update. You remain at the top of my list of moms I look up to. I get tired of people telling me I'm a saint or an angel, so I won't tell you you're a saint or an angel. I will tell you that all these years of hearing your struggles, watching your victories, and being able to bounce things off you have been such a blessing to me. I'm so glad for our friendship! You're an amazing woman. Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete