Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Services for Little Man

We have been having quite the challenge with our little man. First he qualified for Babynet services. Then after the second visit it was recommended that we apply for PCA, personal care attendant, hours. She said that they come to the house and relieve me for about 10 hours a week. On the visit the poor worker was hit, spit on, attempted bit, toy thrown at her head, kicked and scratched. He has those days.

Speech came next and naturally he qualified for speech services. His gap between receptive and expressive language grows and grows. We do not know why he doesn't talk. I have worked with him for months, I have been to plenty of speech classes. It is frustrating for everyone. He is able to communicate his needs most of the time either through sign language or pointing and such.

Then as we have broken his issues down we have come to the belief that he has some type of sensory seeking issues. So now we will have OT come in to evaluate him. I really hope that we can get some answers so that we can better manage his behaviors.

His doctor put him in for an evaluation with developmental peds but that could take a long time. I requested that they request an evaluation with the neurobehaviorist that all my other kids were tested with. They are putting in that request so maybe we we can get an evaluation quicker that way.

Sensory seeking behaviors are new to me. All these kids and I haven't had a kid with severe sensory issues. Anyone have a child with sensory issues? Any suggestions? Any resources?

Little man is hard, we are seeking all the services we can to make his life and ours more manageable.


He turned two and I have some great pictures that I can't share! He also learned how to spray the water hose, he was so proud of himself.


3 comments:

  1. Vestibular motion is your friend. I have an avoider but it works just as well. Swings, twirling, trampolines. Chewlery is also great but you'll have to experiment with textures and shapes to find the best for him. Lots of Feely items - orbeez, sticky, squishy, sand, water, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great too.
    https://funandfunction.com/calm-and-focus/cushions.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some great ideas for sensory seekers! I'll message you on FB.

    ReplyDelete