Saturday, August 14, 2010

Parenting 101

As a parent I have rules concerning yes, no and maybe. No means no, maybe can be turned to a yes with the right persuasion, and yes means yes (even if it is inconvenient for me).

Today Larissa had to test my no. We were at Walmart and we told the little ones that they could get a book. Naturally they put the books right in the middle of the toy section. Larissa lost interest in the books and wanted a specific doll. I told her no, that her birthday was in a month and she could ask for a doll for her birthday but she wasn't getting one today.

She proceeded to cry throughout the rest of our shopping trip. She desperately wanted that doll. She didn't get that doll. I was actually surprised that she acted that way, she hadn't done that when I told her no before. I guess that she was testing me, I hope that I passed!

(She did tell me later that she wanted a doll with a shirt and cupcake for her birthday. Of course, she must have 20 dolls at home already.)

I can parent little ones. I can stick with my no and honor my yeses. However, teenagers, they challenge me. Some are so easy and then others make up for it.

I am dealing with a child right now who is challenging me. I found out today that she is sneaking out in the middle of the night. She has done this twice this week. A boy has been picking her up. She doesn't know that I know......yet. I am still trying to determine how to deal with this one.

How do you deal with a child who doesn't want to be in your home? How do you keep them safe from their bad decisions?

No comments:

Post a Comment