Thursday, July 11, 2019

Siblings

I packed up the kids and headed to Columbia. In town I picked up Michael's (8 year old foster son, not true name) 16 year old sister from a children's home for a day visit.

A little background, her permanent plan is to stay there and age out. I had a conversation with the foster mom to Michael's 10 year old sister and she told me that the 16 year old wanted her to adopt her but that she wasn't willing to take older children so she told her that she was better off staying at the home, that she'd get better opportunities if she stayed there. I was somewhat shocked. I told her that we would have taken her, telling her that is not right. That kind of soured our communication. I talked with her social worker and she said that the girl had told her she didn't want adopted and would stay there and that no one would want a 16 year old. I told the social worker to tell her that she could come to our home. But first we need to meet!

So we went and played and then we went and ate.












At the restaurant she sat far away from me. At one point I asked her to come sit next to me for a minute so we could talk. We small talked and then I asked her if she would like to come stay at our house. Without hesitation she said that she would love to come to our home.

This coming weekend we are picking her up to come stay the weekend. We will see how things go from there. These kids have been in care twice now and we are Michael's 5th placement this time around. He has fit in so well with our family and we hope that his sister will as well. A few weeks ago the other foster mom contacted me and said that the girl that they have wanted to be adopted with Michael. I said I understood if she wanted to take Michael. She said that she wasn't willing to take him and that perhaps his sister could visit with us. I agreed but then she changed her mind and said she wanted to adopt her. His younger sister was with her current foster family the first time she came into care so they have a longer relationship, how will adoptions deal with that? We will see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment