Friday, June 4, 2010

Joselin is Coming Home

After 5 months of living with a family friend Joselin will be coming home. She will be flying in on June 23rd. This is the culmination of three late night conversations.

She will not be attending public schools. She is turning 17 this summer and is way behind in school. I will be mainly homeschooling her on reading , writing and life skills. She hopes to get a job but we will see. The economy is terrible here in SC.

Being away for 5 months and really experiencing other lifestyles and families has allowed her to see what she was rejecting. She says that she has a friend there who has a very unsupportive mom. It makes her realize what support she received from me. She misses talking with me.

She says that she has come to realize that she doesn't know anything. Wow, this is big for a teenager to admit. She thought that she could just leave and get a job and apartment with no problems. Now she realizes that she doesn't have a clue on how to do either.

She admitted to me that she has come to realize that many of the things I tell her are in fact true. That I actually know what I am talking about when I gave her advise that she has ignored.

She admitted that she needs protected from her own decisions. That she is her own worse enemy.

We have discussed what she needs to work on. She can say all the right things and I pray that she can act upon them. I have guarded optimism. I know that falling back into old habits is a very easy thing to do.

It is 2:30 am and I really need to get to bed, the moving truck will arrive between 8 and 10 am.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad that she decided on that! I hope everything works out! You seem like such a caring, loving person, who wouldn't want to live with you! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I hope that she is ready to accept us as a family too.

    ReplyDelete